Hello again,

I have recently visited a fantastic high school called PSII (link to Pacific School of Innovation and Inquiry twitter account). The school has 95 students and 7 staff members. Despite being a high school, the students aren’t necessarily learning things in a linear fashion. A student in grade 10 could be working on grade 12 Biology coursework while working on grade 10 Social Studies, English 10, Math 11, Psychology 12, Philosophy 12… the list goes on and on and there are a variety of options available so that students have the freedom to choose what they want to learn.

The school’s principal, Jeff Hopkins, led my cohort and I from the University of Victoria of a tour of the school. The school has follows a specific pedagogy: learning thorough inquiry. The students perform above average on standardised tests, which the school doesn’t believe in.  The students learn things in a cross curricular manner. When assessing the students progress… The provinces requirements for high school students is vertical per subject. PSII (link to website)has its students learning Horizontally, crossing subjects in individual projects and lessons. The school runs on slightly less funds that public schools, so it can be incorporated in throughout the province without additional costs on the government or the public. For private schools (in Victoria), It is the most affordable private school in the area and the performance of the students are just as good, if not better, than other private schools.

Mr. Hopkins might share his business plan to start the school with you if you ask. Anecdotal report card.

After the visit to PSII, some lucky students in my cohort were able to visit with Rebecca Bathurst-Hunt (twitter link). Although I was not able to visit her classroom myself, I have learned that she is teaching a kindergarten class inquiry. Most of her work in guided inquiry, however some of it transitions to free inquiry over time. This is perfect for students because it gives them an early introduction to inquiry and to real life. Inquiry is the closest thing to the working world.  Rebecca also has a website and a book with Trevor Mackenzie. Rebecca also generously shared some resources. Finally, here is a video virtual tour of her classroom and her pedagogy.

Till next time,

Preston