Hello again,

Today I have had the pleasure of learning about coding from Rich McCue. He also has a website, in case you wanted to learn more.

Scratch:

• Play,
  • Math,
  • Science, and
  • Spelling/English

Grasshopper:

• Have to read be able to use it
  • lots of supports
  • don’t need to know programming
  • gently walks you through programming

Hour of Code:

• Python
  • Scratch
  • Javascript, and
  • More

TinkerCad:

• 3D design application
  • 3D printing
  • Can make a geometric model of your design

Code BC:

• Computational thinking
  • Science

I had previously seen scratch used in elementary schools. So, I took a look at Hour of Code. It is a website that has links to a plethora of different coding activities from a multitude of sources, including Scratch. I chose to code a new google search bar background.

The little earth, that replaces an ‘o’, moves left and right when the green flag is clicked.

What are the uses in schools?

Sure, most of the children in our schools and communities are adept at using technology. However, their understanding of technology will only ever be the surface level unless they are introduced to the deeper, behind the scenes activity. This allows – and ensures – that all learners are confident in the ever-growing world of technology. Its also a great way to solidify learning on spelling, math, and science. You could also use this as a medium for students to show their learning. They can make a presentation on someone or something.

Till next time,

Preston